Are you a Growth marketing manager or a Startup founder? Are you eager to learn more how to include Influencer Marketing into your grow marketing strategy?
If so, you are in the right place! ? This blog post show the difference between macro and micro influencer and how the latter may help your startup growth.
Let’s get started! ?
Macro-Influencers vs. Micro-influencers
Some authors categorize influencers into two brackets. Others into more than two classes. We thought it would be more practical split them up into macro & micro inflluencers only. However, you might come up with frameworks categorizing influencers into more categories, such as: nano, micro, macro and mega influencers.
What are Macro-influencers? They are often celebrities or just very popular name in specific niche or markets with more that 10,000 followers on social media. Macro-influencers are usually approached by well-established brands aiming to reach a broad audience to drive brand awareness. Due to the investment made, business aim not only to find good affinity with the influencer’s audience but also prove a positive ROI from the partnership. Both the brand and influencer negotiate the number of posts/videos and the value of partnership for endorsing the product or service.
However, if you are a Startup Founder there a number of reasons why macro-influencers might not be the best choice for your business. Indeed, you should consider a number of reasons for examples: the audience age of your target, marketing budget, niche market and marketing goal. Indeed, Macro-influencers are more expensive compared to micro-influencers which is the first reason why they are not always recommended for early stage startups or companies with limited budget.
The second reason why macro-influencers are not very recommanded to startups is because the endorsement might be perceived from the community not 100% authentic. Especially because new Gen Z (and Millennials) are more sophisticated as a buyer. Infact, new generations are more willing to engage, trust and be loyal to brands that are authentic, understand them and reflect their values as micro-influencers does better.
Micro-influencers are people on social media managing accounts up to 10k followers. The visibility and reach of their contents is limited, however, there are a number of reasons why your strategy should include micro-influencers preferring them to larger accounts. Let’s analyse three elements:
- Authenticity: as mentioed above, Gen Z and Millennials love brands which are authentic and convey naturally with their community. Smaller influencers are able to do that much better than celebrities or popular influencers.
- Conditions: negotiations between brands and influencers are typically cheaper for brands. Startups negotiating with influencers may be able to include free products saving their marketing budget. Obviously, the product or service needs to be loved from the influencer and his community first to make this happen.
- Middle or Bottom-Of-Funnel: micro influencers should be implemented in your marketing strategy to drive brand engagement and/or direct response. This is not the case to use micro-influencers to drive brand awareness.
- Engagement Rate: the Engagement Rate is probabily the most important key metric if you’re looking for growing the revenue of your startup. As you can see in the chart below, smaller accounts scored higher engagement rate. Also, TikTok marked a higher EG% rate compared with Instagram and Twitter. ?
Source: Influencer Marketing Hub, Click Here
Now that you have a better understanding how macro and micro influencer marketing works, check out 2 strategies you should use to grow your startup with micro-influencers. ?
#1 On TikTok
We all know that TikTok is spreading so fast and far. One of the reason why not all brands seize the day is because TikTok doesn’t play by the rules of other social media. Before setting up an account and creating daily videos a brand should be aware about its communication stlye. 69% of TikTok users are between 16 and 24 years old which make contents more fun and spontaneous. (However, TikTok is getting popular also among adults.)
If your startup target a segment audience between 18-26 years old and you think you have the right company culture to fit the social media, definitely you should explore influencer marketing on TikTok. If so, follow the following steps to get started:
- Make Your Research:
- Hashtag: do your research manually making use of free #hashtag tool in the app. Make your research by keywords industry to find the best profile in your niche.
- Google: never forgot to use Google Search. For example, look for “Best TikTok infuencers for B2B SaaS“. Free SEO tools can help you too.
- Tools: Hypetrace is a Freemium TikTok & Instagram influencer search engine providing data by location and engagement rate. Otherwise you can also try Influence Grid to help match brands with infuencers.
- Analysis: Find your top infuencers by Engagement Rate, Followers number, Quality & Frequency of Contents. Also, make sure if they are active on other social media: what about YouTube? Instagram? Facebook? You may sign cross-channel deals.
- Reach out to influencers: now you probably came up with a list of “top 5” influencers to work with.
- Check out their expected earnings using this free tool. TikTok Influencer Earning Calculator Tool.
- Reach out to them via email or via DM. Be specific. Explain what your strategy is. Ship free samples to test your product.
- Send a contract including the number of featured videos, type of contents, earnings, contract duration.
#2 On Twitch
55% of Twitch users are between the ages of 18 and 34. The most popular Twitch category in October 2020 was “Just Chatting” which he passed gaming and eSports views. This is a proof that there are a number of opportunies on Twitch for brands of each niche. If you are interested in exploring further an opportunity with Twitch, follow these simple steps:
- Explore tags: Get familiar with Twitch Tags. Check them out, here.
- Analyse metrics: Browse and analyse channels that might suits your startup needs. TwitchTracker is a powerful tool provided for free helpful to measure the performance. Find the best Active Channels.
- Some Ideas: Think about a proposal:
- Asking to display logo in the channel in-stream before or during the live
- The influencer may wear a jersey with your logo or can show the product
- A coupon may be given to the community during the live
Twitch is still relatively new, there is still room to plan creatively and strategically including Twitch in the marketing strategy. In effect, Twitch Ads is it is not yet widespread like other platforms are. The future of live-streaming media is bright and brands should embrace them to engage with community of non gamers and gamers. See below a chart showing the viewership on Twitch during the last few years.
If you’ve come this far, you’re ready to getting started with Influencer marketing on TikTok and Twitch! ? There are a wide range of software available in the market that might help you to match your brand with the best influencer out there. Negotiating with influencers should be easy if there is a relationship of mutual respect and trust between both parties.
If you need help to grow your startup with Influencer Marketing, drop me an email! I’ve got the experience you need! ?